Aziz City for Science and Technology
Established in Riyadh in 1977 (1397 H), King Abdul
Aziz City for Science and Technology is an independent scientific organization,
administratively attached to the Prime Minister (the King). It is run by a higher
committee chaired by the King. The Crown Prince and First Deputy Premier deputize for the
King. The committee's members are the Second Deputy Premier and a number of ministers and
Its objectives are:
- The proposal of a national policy for the advancement of science and technology. It lays
down the required strategy to achieve this end.
- The execution of scientific research programs for development in the Kingdom.
- The fostering of the private sector to develop agricultural and industrial research.
- The enhancement of various research programs between the Kingdom and international
scientific institutions for the purpose of keeping abreast of scientific advances, whether
through scholarships or joint research.
- The offering of scholarships and training courses in the field of scientific research.
It also awards scholarships to individuals and establishments to conduct applied
- The coordination with governmental organs, scientific institutions and research centers
in the Kingdom for the purpose of research and data exchange.
Affiliated with King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology are several research
institutes and scientific centers.