Implementing Your ISO 9001:2000
1. Identify the goals you want to achieve
Typical goals may be:
2. Identify what others expect of you
These are the expectations of interested parties (stakeholders) such as:
3. Obtain information about the ISO 9000 family
4. Apply the ISO 9000 family of standards in your management system.
Decide if you are seeking certification that your quality management system is in conformance with ISO 9001:2000 or if you are preparing to apply for a national quality award.
5. Obtain guidance on specific topics within the quality management system
These topic-specific standards are:
6. Establish your current status, determine the gaps between your quality management system and the requirements of ISO 9001:2000
You may use one or more of the following:
7. Determine the processes that are needed to supply products to your customers
Review the requirements of the ISO 9001:2000 section on Product Realization to determine how they apply or do not apply to your quality management system including;
8. Develop a plan to close the gaps in step 6 and to develop the processes in step 7
Identify actions needed to close the gaps, allocate resources to perform these actions, assign responsibilities and establish a schedule to complete the needed actions. ISO 9001:2000 Paragraphs 4.1 and 7.1 provide the information you will need to consider when developing the plan.
9. Carry out your plan
Proceed to implement the identified actions and track progress to your schedule
10. Undergo periodic internal assessment
Use ISO 19011 for guidance in auditing, auditor qualification and managing audit programmes
11. Do you need to demonstrate conformance?
If yes, go to step 12
If no, go to step 13
You may need or wish to show conformance (certification/registration) for various purposes, for example:
12. Undergo independant audit
Engage an accredited registration/certification body to perform an audit and certify that your quality management system complies with the requirements of ISO 9001:2000.
13. Continue to improve your business
Review the effectiveness and suitability of your quality management system. ISO 9004:2000 provides a methodology for improvement.
Send E-mail to
TSN@The-Saudi.Net with questions or
comments about The Saudi Network.