Nayef Ibn Abdul Aziz Al-Saud
The Minister of Interior
Prince Nayef Ibn Abdul Aziz was born in the city of Taif in 1934 (1353 H.). He received
his education at "The Princes School" and at the hands of senior Ulema
(religious leaders) and sheikhs. In addition, he has read widely in the fields of
politics, diplomacy and security.
He was appointed Deputy to the Governorate of Riyadh Region on 15/3/1952 (29/6/1371 H.).
The governor at that time was his brother H.R.H. Prince Sultan Ibn Abdul Aziz.
- In 1952 (1372 H.) he was appointed Governor of the Riyadh Region, a post he held until
- On 3/6/1970 (29/3/1390 H.), a royal order was issued appointing him Vice-Minister of the
- On 1974 (16/9/1394 H.), a royal order was issued appointing him Vice-Minister of
Interior, with the Rank of Minister.
- On 1975 (8/10/1395 H.) he was appointed Minister of the Interior, a post he still holds.
Prince Nayef's Other Assignments
* Chairman of the Higher Information Council.
* Chairman of the Higher Industrial Security Commission.
* Chairman of the Higher Haj Commission.
* Chairman of the Higher Civil Defense Council.
* Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Arab Center for Security Studies and Training.
* Honorary President of the Arab Interior Ministers Council.
* Chairman of the Manpower Council, on the strength of a Council of Ministers Decision on
31/12/1990 (14/6/1411 H.)
* Chairman of the Committee charged with laying down the Basic System of Government, the
Al-Shoura Council System and the Provincial System, issued in 1412 H.
Efforts Exerted at the Arab and International Levels
Prince Nayef Ibn Abdul Aziz, the Minister of Interior, is the Honorary President of the
Arab Interior Ministers' Council. His exceptional efforts have led to the approval of an
Arab strategy for combatting the abuse of drugs, as well as the Arab Security Strategy
(2nd Session, Baghdad, 1983 (Rabei Al-Awal 1404 H.) A preventive Arab security plan was
approved (3rd Session, Tunis, 9-11 1984 (Rabei Al-Awal 1405 H.). An Arab Security Plan was
also approved in the 4th Session.
These efforts continued during the Council's regular sessions. In 1992, Rajab (1413 H.)
during its 10th Session, the Council passed several decisions, including the approval of
the special report on implementing the Arab Strategy's phased anti-drugs plan and on
working out a second phased plan for the next five years.
During the 11th session, HRH Prince Nayef Ibn Abdul Aziz, the Minister of Interior,
stressed the importance of improving Arab security cooperation to help Arab governments
and peoples achieve the desired development.
* In addition, Prince Naif contributed to the improved performance of security men
through training and continuous education.
* He has striven to eradicate crime and protect the society from destablizing factors
by the application of Islamic Shariah. The Kingdom has thus become a model of security and
stability worthy of emulation throughout the world.
* He has steadily urged the mass media to confront important issues and exchange views,
while remaining measured and calm, within the framework of Islamic values and authentic
* As Chairman of the Higher Haj Commission, his efforts to improve Haj services have
been praised by pilgrims.
* He has personally lead the campaign against drug-traffickers, with a view to
protecting the Kingdom's youth.